My Service Dog and Me is dedicated to producing top quality service dogs and putting the power of up-to-date, scientifically sound, and positive training methods into the hands of owner trainers.
- Karen Pryor Academy Certified Training Partner
- Pro Dog Trainer Certified
- Assistance Dog Training for Professionals – Service Dogs Inc
- ClickerExpo: Chicago 2011, Portland 2012, San Francisco 2013, Norfolk 2014, Portland 2015.
- Puppy Start Right for Instructors
- Family Paws Mentoring to License
- Living and Learning With Animals – the Science and Technology of Behavior Change
- Skills for Tomorrow’s Trainer: 5 day Kay Laurence seminar.
Kate Olson, KPA CTP
I started My Dog and Me, LLC with my husband after graduating from Karen Pryor Academy’s Dog Trainer Program in 2012 with eight years of dog training experience and shortly after learned to train and place service dogs while working with a small service dog organization in Indiana. When they went out of business my husband and I moved home to Wisconsin and I began working with owner trainers and place fully trained service dogs here!
My Service Dog and Me stepped into the online world in 2017 after I saw someone ask “how do I get my dog to stop jumping on the counter?” in a Facebook group for owner trainers. Some of the training advice posted on this thread was really good. Some of it was bad. All of it contradicted the advice above it. I remember thinking “how is an owner trainer supposed to filter through this and know who to listen to?”
And so our Facebook group was born, followed shortly by our online service dog training academy with the intention of getting the power of positive reinforcement into the hands of more owner trainers.
Before training service dogs, I worked in many fields of the animal care profession over the past ten years including as a dog trainer, at daycare/boarding facilities and in veterinary offices. I have competed in agility, completed internships at zoos, trained search and rescue dogs, herding dogs, and hundreds of pet dogs struggling with everything from basic manners to reactivity.